Why is Tire Rotation Important?
What does rotating your tires do? Regular tire rotation is important because it extends the life of your tires. It prevents any single tire from wearing out faster than the other tires. Learn more about tire rotation below and see if your vehicle is in need of this essential maintenance task. If so, be sure to set up an appointment at the McGrath Acura of Westmont service center near Elmhurst.
How Does Drivetrain Affect Tire Rotation?
When you accelerate, brake, turn your wheels, and go around curves in Naperville, all this requires friction between your tires and the road. Your tires wear differently depending on the drivetrain of your vehicle. Wondering how often to rotate tires based on drivetrain? McGrath Acura of Westmont has all of the details.
- Front-wheel drive vehicle: Engine power is directed to the front wheels, which are responsible for steering, starting and most of the stopping force. This causes the front tires to wear out faster. A tire rotation should be performed every 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
- Rear-wheel drive vehicle: Engine power is directed to the rear wheels, but the front wheels are still responsible for steering and much of braking. The rear tires will still wear out at a more rapid pace than the front tires, but not quite as quickly as the front tires would wear out on a FWD vehicle. A tire rotation should be performed every 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
- All-wheel drive vehicle: Engine power is more evenly distributed, but each tire still wears at a different pace. A tire rotation should be performed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
- Intelligent all-wheel drive systems: Making tight turns causes various levels of strain and friction on the inside tires vs. outside tires. With some advanced all-wheel drive systems power can actually be sent to an individual wheel for optimal cornering capability, but this can further affect tire life.
Why Rotate Tires?
Why rotate tires? If you do not keep up with the recommended intervals for rotating tires, you will likely end up needing to replace your tires more frequently. Here are just a few of the consequences of not having your tires rotated:
- More rapid deterioration of brake pads
- Flat tires and blowouts
- Poor traction and skidding on the roads
Keep Up With Routine Maintenance at McGrath Acura of Westmont
If you want to know more about tire care, how to check your tire tread depth, or get any other service tips, you can depend on the service experts at McGrath Acura of Westmont. Schedule your next service appointment today. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We would be glad to assist you. We have all the details on the lineup, such as what Acura models require premium gas as well as service features like what causes tires to wear unevenly or maintenance facts every driver should know.
More Service Tips From McGrath Acura of Westmont
If you invest in something as special as an Acura, you’ll want to keep it in pristine condition for years to come. And while there’s nothing like a proper car detailing at McGrath Acura of Westmont, there is plenty of luxury car care that you can easily do at home. In this guide, we’ll explore the routine tasks…
When you invest in a leather-trimmed interior, you want to keep those gorgeous details in top condition. But, what’s the best method for cleaning leather car seats? A little routine maintenance will go a long way and you might be surprised by just how easy the process can be! Let’s take a look at the…
If you’re sick of slipping on the icy roads of Elmhurst and Downers Grove, then it might be time to ask yourself, “Do I need winter tires?” Sure, many drivers stick with all-season tires throughout the year, but there’s a reason that so many commuters buy winter tires once the cold weather rolls around. Between the…