2017 Acura MDX vs 2016 Toyota Highlander
It’s time to select the next car to power you through your Chicago commute, and you’ve got it down to two models: the 2017 Acura MDX and the 2016 Toyota Highlander. Which one is right for you? See how their specifications and standard features compare below.
How’s the Drive?
Performance is key to surviving every minute of your Westmont morning drive to work, so see how these two models stack up:
- Standard Engine: The Highlander offers a 2.7L 4-cylinder engine paired with 6-speed automatic transmission. The MDX offers a 3.5L V6 engine paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission.
- Horsepower and Torque: The MDX base offers a whopping 290 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque at its maximum. Meanwhile, the Highlander gives you 185 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque with its base engine.
- Towing Capacity: The Highlander’s lowest trim gives you a respectable 1,500 lbs. of towing capability. The higher level trims give you up to 5,000 lbs. of towing capacity. The MDX’s base trim gives you a 5,000 lbs. towing capacity as do the higher level trims.
It’s the luxurious details that will melt away the minutes on your Elmhurst commute. Both the MDX and the Highlander give you great features, but the Acura MDX steals the show with its standard features:
- Seating: The Highlander has made a good showing with three zone climate control options and a comfortable mix of fabric and SofTex seats. The MDX also pays close attention to interior comforts with a comparable three zone temperature system, leather seating, and available memory for the adjustable front seats.
- Entertainment and Connectivity: The Highlander offers SiriusXM Satellite radio and an available rear entertainment system for keeping your back seat entertained. It includes a 9-inch screen with RCA hacks, wireless headphones, and a remote. For the MDX, Bluetooth streaming is standard along with Aha, Pandora, and SiriusXM. There’s also an available entertainment package that includes dual screens, wireless headphones, Xbox One compatibility, and sunshades.
- Available Safety: The MDX is the first in its class to offer a comprehensive safety and driver assistance suite as a standard. Collision mitigation, lane assist, and adaptive cruise control are some of its key features. The Highlander offers similar features in its add-on safety suite, the Star Safety System. This system includes vehicle stability control, brake assist, and electronic brake force distribution.
Try the Acura MDX vs Toyota Highlander Challenge Yourself
Are you ready to know once and for all which car wins the Acura MDX vs Toyota Highlander battle? Visit McGrath Acura of Westmont located at 400 East Ogden Avenue for a test drive of the 2017 Acura MDX in the Naperville area. To schedule an appointment, complete our contact form, or give us a call at 888-299-8727.
*2016 Images Shown